Previously we have discussed about How to Hide Files or Folders Using Command Prompt and I have also shown you the trick to Show files and folders hidden by Command Prompt. You can also checkout these posts if you are interested only in hiding your files and folders.
Today, I came up with a most wanted trick to make secret folders by using DOS commands so that your these secret folders can not be read or deleted by anyone else. You don’t need any software for that purpose because every Windows have built-in DOS/ Command Prompt. We will use simple DOS commands to make your folder secret.
Before going to the trick you must know that by holding down Alt key of your keyboard, when you type any number on the numeric pad (right of the keyboard); you can create special characters. For example; If you hold down Alt key, and press 5, then you will get the ascii character of 5. You can try some random numbers up to 255.
Now I hope that you have understood the method to write the ascii characters of numbers. Now coming on the trick, read and understand the easy method given below:
- First of all make a folder anywhere in your computer. For example; I have made a folder named “Howtotec” in D:// drive.
- Now place your secret files in this folder.
- After that, to lock this secret folder, click Start and go to Run.
- In the Run command box write cmd and hit Enter key from your keyboard or press OK button.
- This will open a command prompt window.
- Here type your drive letter (where the folder is placed) followed by colon “:” and press Enter to go to this drive. For example; I have placed my folder in D://, so I will write D: and press Enter.
- Now type,
ren yourfoldername (alt+1)(alt+2)(alt+3)yourfoldername
and then press Enter. (ren is the dos command to rename). As my folder name is howtotec so I will write:
ren howtotec (alt+1)(alt+2)(alt+3)howtotec
- Now try and open or delete the folder in Windows, you can’t.
- To open it type:
ren (alt+1)(alt+2)(alt+3)howtotec howtotec
and then press Enter key
Note: Here (alt+1), (alt+2) and (alt+3) means that type any combination of numbers by holding down Alt key. You must remember this combination of numbers, you use; to access your folder again.